My attitude about life is simple—I want to be happy and fulfilled, and I want my loved ones to feel the same. Therefore, I’m always looking for things that make me smile. As I was compiling my list, though, I realized that 95% of the things that make me smile, are most likely things that make YOU smile! I also realized that many things that make us smile are free or cost very little!
And so, here’s an extensive list of things that make you smile. I encourage you to look for more things in your life that make you smile. It is a simple but valuable habit that can beneficially change your life. Think about it—if you are looking for things that make you smile, you are not looking for things that make you unhappy. This leads to a more joyful life because…
On the days when you are not feeling your best, these are great reminders of the little things that bring you joy. They can also be a helpful guide on how to make someone smile.
A little something to make you smile
- Give or receive hugs.
- Comfort food when you’ve had a bad day.
- Friends who bring soup when you’re sick.
- The smell of freshly baked cookies or cake.
- Good jokes—the kind that makes your stomach hurt from laughing.
#oldme #onlykidding #justmavis #dorisandmavis #comedee #funneemonkee #littlesausage #middleagedmumma #freemilk♬ original sound - Mazzy Moo
- Good music.
- Finding money in a pocket or couch.
- Getting into a bed with freshly washed sheets.
- Good advice.
#motivation #progress #habitcreation #psychology #motivationtok #inspiration #jamesclear #advicetok♬ original sound - AnatomyofProgress
- A good hair day.
- Being surprised with wine, flowers, chocolate, or anything that makes you happy.
- Seeing someone offer an elderly person a seat.
- Parking meters that still have time on them.
- Dancing elders.
It’s been a great week!! #waitforit @lavivasanita #dancer #mom #momandson #fypシ♬ original sound - Ian Asher
- Warming up in the sun after sitting in a cold, air-conditioned room.
- Listening to your favorite songs.
- Going on holiday and finally landing at the destination airport.
- Baby talk.
@cweisslife♬ original sound - Christina Weiss
- Rainy days when you can snuggle under a blanket and read a book/ watch a movie.
- Warm, freshly baked bread.
- Old people holding hands.
- Driving a car on a summer’s day with the windows down.
- A good prank.
#fatherdaughter #duo @jamaldabossford♬ original sound - _trendsetterv
- Singing as if no one can hear you, in the shower or car.
- Dancing as if no one is watching.
- Hearing people laugh heartily.
- Hearing babies laugh.
When these two find a flashlight 🙄 #toddlersoftiktok #bellylaughs #dogsofttiktok #giggles #babygiggle #dogandbaby #bestfriends #babylaugh♬ original sound - Madi
- Seeing an old friend after a long time.
- Waking up on a Saturday morning with nothing to do but relax.
- A bubble bath.
- Great-smelling candles.
- Seeing others happy.
He didn't even miss the BEAT, how cool is this #haapypeople #dancelife💃🏻❤️ #fyp🔥🔥💯♬ original sound - Global Dance Supreme
- Finding bargains.
- A much-needed vacation.
- Reaching a goal or seeing someone else reach a goal.
- Feel-good stories, particularly the kind that makes you cry!
Walk-on’s getting scholarships 🙌 no more working at @buffalowildwings till 11 😅 #football #scholarship #nfl♬ Worship Instrumental - Instrumental - Adrian Jonathan
- Getting a credit on your credit card.
- An unexpected surplus in my bank account.
- Waking up after a good night’s rest.
- Older people who seem to ignore age limits!
#jeanbarnette #62yearsyoung I need to go out dancing.♬ Holding out for a Hero (from "Footloose") - Bonnie Tyler
- A completed to-do list.
- Hot chocolate or a hot beverage on a cold day.
- When you are traveling, and your luggage comes out first through baggage claim.
- A good laugh.
Y’all be safe out there 😭 #fy #fyp #fypシ #whatsgoingon #newyear #winter #fail #CT♬ Oh No - Kreepa
- 3-ingredient recipes.
- Binge-watching a really great show.
- A clean house.
- Discovering hacks that make your life easier.
Happy Hour in a Hurry! #allrecipes #fyp #lifehack #hack #wine #winetime #wineoclock♬ Ultimate life hacks - Kelly - The Life Bath
- Looking back at old photos.
- Getting an unexpected message from a loved one.
- Strong, powerful women.
- Finding easy, healthy recipes.
#healthyliving #healthycooking #nutritionist #healthyrecipes #healthyfood #nutrition♬ original sound - CoachTaraGarrison
- Completing something that you’ve worked on for a long time.
- Eating something delicious, and realizing it’s healthy too!
- Living life the way you want to, instead of trying to make others happy.
@andrew_murnane ♬ Runaway by Kanye Piano - Henry Cantu
- Hearing a song that reminds you of happy days.
- Seeing people reach goals despite the odds.
- Hearing good news from a friend or family.
- Cute and clever ideas.
Fran’s summer hairstyle is 100% natural with very healthy roots. #StreetArt #SidewalkChalk #EnvironmentalArt #barefoot #verdure♬ Mother Nature's Son - Stephen Bennett
- Warm blankets on a cold day.
- Feeling a light breeze on a hot day.
- The beginning of fall, when the leaves start changing.
- Getting a thank-you card.
- Doing something that makes someone else happy.
- Seeing people help one another.
Why do old women look for food in the trash can ?#tiktok#foryou #warm #fpy♬ Sad Piano - Astafyev Matvey
Things that make me smile
While the above list includes most of what makes me smile, I didn’t add personal items because I wanted the list to be somewhat universal. However, to inspire you to make your own list, I’ve added a few things from my life that make me smile.
- Someone other than me making dinner.
- My children.
- My husband.
- A good bottle of wine.
- A good bottle of wine while watching a show/movie that I picked!
- When my kids do well in school.
- When my kids do their chores without being asked.
- Taking my kids out of school early for a surprise trip!
- Uninterrupted sleep.
- Easy and delicious crockpot meals.
- When someone farts audibly. (My husband’s idea of humor.)